A dog was rescued from a house fire and given oxygen by firefighters.

At 7.25pm on Sunday (March 24), two fire engines from Hyndburn were called to Meadow Court in Oswaldtwistle.

Crews had received reports of a fire inside a property, which is believed to have started in the kitchen.

When firefighters arrived they found a hob had set on fire, and one dog had to be taken from the house and given oxygen via a pet oxygen mask.

A spokesperson for the fire service said: "Over the weekend, our crews from Hyndburn rescued this cute little doggie from a house fire.

"Firefighter Archer, from Hyndburn on-call crew, provided oxygen therapy before reuniting them with their owner.

"A big thanks to our friends at the RSPCA (England and Wales) and the charity Smokey Paws.

"All our fire engines carry pet oxygen masks to help animals feel better after breathing in smoke"

Luckily the fire was not serious, and no humans were injured during the incident, with crews remaining at the scene for around half an hour. 

The spokesperson added: "At 7.25pm on March 24, two fire engines from Hyndburn attended a domestic building fire on Meadow Court, Oswaldtwistle.

"Firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used one hose reel and a ventilation unit to extinguish the fire.

"One dog was rescued from the property and received oxygen via an pet oxygen mask.

"Crews were in attendance for 30 minutes."