An Oswaldtwistle man died after taking an overdose of heroin, an inquest had heard.

Samuel Kelly, 31, had a history of drug use and was known to substance misuse service Inspire.

Samuel, who was born in Bury, died at Royal Blackburn Hospital on October 27 having been taken there via ambulance.

Having ingested the drugs, Samuel suffered a cardiac arrest and was prescribed adrenaline.

Reading evidence into the record, Coroner Richard Taylor said there was some evidence of a pulse when Samuel arrived at the hospital, but he was admitted to critical care straight away.

In a post-mortem examination, Dr Raab from Sheffield Teaching Hospitals said the total blood concentration of morphine in Samuel’s body was within the range found in fatalities.

There was also evidence of cocaine and pregabalin use, as well as previous use of mirtazapine.

Dr Quinn, a GP, said Samuel was known to have a history of cocaine and heroin use. He was seen by Inspire in March but had no further correspondence.

Mr Taylor said Samuel had four treatment episodes with Inspire between 2017 and 2023, with the latter three relating to heroin use.

Offering a conclusion of drug-related death, Mr Taylor said: “Samuel John Kelly died at Royal Blackburn Hospital on October 27, 2023, having ingested an excess of heroin.”