The end of over a century of brewing in Little Harwood is recorded in this photo from 1992.

The main office block of the former Lion Brewery carried its name to the end but within days of this picture being taken the entire site had been cleared.

It was believed that brewing had begun in 1875 on the site occupied by the Little Harwood Brewing Company.

By 1897, it had become Nuttall and Company and it remained as such for 30 years, until 1927 when Matthew Brown acquired it and the Lion brand was adopted.

In 1987, much to the dismay of real ale lovers, Matthew Brown was taken over by brewing giant Scottish and Newcastle who took the decision to close the Lion brewery.