A FOOTBALL fan has been made the subject of a five-year banning order for abusing away supporters.

Blackburn magistrates heard Burnley fan Billy Rambadt had already been made subject to two past bans because of matchday trouble making.

The latest order follows an incident prior to the Turf Moor match against Manchester United when police were escorting away fans to the ground.

Rambadt was seen to raise his arms in an aeroplane gesture and shouted “Munich” several times.

“This was a clear reference to the Munich air disaster in 1958 in which 23 people associated with Manchester United lost their lives,” said Glenn Anderson, prosecuting.

Rambadt, 27, of Athletic Street, Burnley, pleaded guilty to using threatening behaviour. He was fined £500 with a £200 victim surcharge and £85 costs.

The football banning order was made for five years, which is the maximum allowed by law.

Mr Anderson said Rambadt had been made subject to three-year bans in 2015 and 2018. Since the latest finished police had continued to collect matchday intelligence linking Rambadt to organised violence.

Mr Anderson said there were police logs relating to the defendant’s behaviour at home and away matches.

“He is already subject to a club ban but these are notoriously hard to enforce,” said Mr Anderson. “The police are aware he has been able to get tickets and attend matches”

On the day of the game against Man United in September Rambadt was stood outside the Royal Dyche pub with other Burnley fans.

United fans were being escorted to the ground by the police when Rambadt made the Munich gesture and comment.

David Lawson, defending, said in the past his client’s offending had been linked to excessive alcohol drinking.

“At the weekend this would also be linked to cocaine use,” said Mr Lawson. “In recent times he has made great strides with the help of the Probation Service and now says he can take it or leave it.

“Quite often with football offences it’s the herd mentality which causes people to behave in a way they wouldn’t normally do,” said Mr Lawson.

“He hasn’t been in the vicinity of Turf Moor since these proceedings started.”

Supt Melita Worswick said: “Rambadt’s conduct on that day was absolutely appalling and something that I know many people will find abhorrent.

“Although Rambadt was not arrested at the scene, justice did catch up with him in the end. To be clear if you are not arrested at the time you commit an offence like this, be sure that we will be reviewing the evidence against you and you should expect a knock at the door.”