A man who accused his housemate of stealing his money punched him in the face and left him with a swollen lip.

Shan Swara, 23, accused his victim of inflicting the injuries upon himself when he was interviewed by police.

Preston Crown Court heard that Swara and the victim, Hussain Abdullah, were living together at a property in Rishton.

On July 30, between midnight and 1am, Swara knocked on Abdullah’s door and asked for a cigarette before leaving.

He returned to Abdullah’s room a number of times through the night, and on the third time accused him of stealing his money and using it to buy a mobile phone.

Swara punched Abdullah in the face, which caused swelling, and the victim then locked the door from the inside.

Swara returned again, banging violently on the door and swearing, which damaged the door.

Following the incident, Abdullah left the house to go to a friend’s, where he called the police.

Swara was arrested and interviewed, where he denied the offences and suggested Abdullah caused the injury to himself.

He also said the door had been previously damaged and he was not responsible.

Mitigating for Swara, Anthony Parkinson said his client had been in the UK since 2021 having previously lived in Iraq.

He fled the country and travelled to the UK by boat and is currently going through the asylum process.

Mr Parkinson says his client intends to leave the area at the close of these proceedings and move to another place with a friend he has previously lived with.

Passing sentence, Judge Ian Unsworth said: “The offences arise out of events at a shared home when, in an unprovoked attack, you assaulted your victim.

“You made false allegations against him. He was required to leave home that night and I read you were uncooperative with the police.

“I accept what your barrister has said and he rightly points out you have previous good character.”

Swara, of Mary Street, Blackburn, pleaded guilty to one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and one count of criminal damage.

He was sentenced to 18 weeks in prison.