A man was killed by a careless driver who took a bend at around 45mph and failed to see him crossing the road.

Ian Lions, who was in his 40s, was crossing 30mph restricted Regent Street in Colne when he was struck by a Vauxhall Zafira being driven by Alan McVittie, 40.

Mr Lions was thrown across the road due to the force of the impact, and died at the scene despite the best efforts of paramedics and passers-by who stopped.

McVittie was returning to his home in Nelson from Colne on June 1, 2021, having picked up his son from a job interview.

When approaching the right-hand bend, which was in a 30mph zone, he failed to see Mr Lions and before McVittie could brake his car had hit the pedestrian.

Prosecuting, Adam Lodge told Burnley Crown Court: “Ian Lions was walking down Regent Street in the opposite direction to the car. The road naturally bends to the right.

“When approaching the bend, he was seen on CCTV to look over his right shoulder and check for traffic coming from behind.

"He walked into the road before beginning to run to the other side. Once he entered the second side he was struck by the defendant’s car.

“The collision caused Mr Lions to be thrown back across the road. Members of the public were very quickly on the scene and provided care and comfort as he lay in the road.

“Despite the best efforts of paramedics, the injuries proved fatal at the scene.”

Tests conducted showed McVittie did not have any alcohol or drugs in his system.

A post-mortem examination concluded Mr Lions’s death was from a serious chest injury.

A collision investigation report was prepared which examined CCTV and an officer conducted multiple drive through tests on the road at various speeds.

Comparison of that footage estimated the vehicle to be travelling at approximately 45mph on approach to the bend, and in the author’s opinion, had the driver been travelling at the correct speed he would have been able to react in time and stop.

McVittie was interviewed by police on August 17, 2021, and told them as he approached the bend the first thing he saw or heard was a thud into the driver’s side of the car.

He accepted there was no obstruction to his visibility, that he was going over the speed limit, and he had simply not seen Mr Lions.

There was no victim personal statement in this case, but Mr Lodge, on behalf of Mr Lions’ father, simply said the parents were “understandably very upset” and that he was “very close to his son, we spent much time together and I considered him as much a best friend as a family member”.

McVittie, at the time of the incident, held a full UK driving licence and was fully insured, though had previously been handed three penalty points for a speeding offence in September 2020.

Mitigating for McVittie, Mark Stuart said: “He knows, and it’s at the forefront of his mind, it’s his actions that have resulted in Mr Lions Sr losing his son.

“He quite simply did not see Mr Lions. We do not seek to place any blame upon Mr Lions whatsoever. It’s a tragedy all round.

“The defendant did immediately stop. He rang 999 himself and of course remained at the scene and was there when police arrived.

“He is a devoted family man, hard working and responsible, and this offence has weighed heavily upon him.”

Passing sentence, Judge Sara Dodd said: “Nothing I can say and nothing I can do to you can undo the damage that has been caused by this case.

"Mr Lions Sr has lost his son. He was 40 at the time of his death. He was not only a loving son but a best friend to his father.

“Yours was a momentary lapse of concentration that led to you driving around a tight bend at around 45mph.

"In my judgement, it’s that speed that meant you could not stop, and the collision was unavoidable.

“There is a single aggravating factor, and it is that nine months before this incident, you received three penalty points for speeding.

“I’ve read carefully all the information I have, including a letter from your wife and the pre-sentence report, and I accept entirely your remorse is genuine.

“It may not help Mr Lions’ family, but the impact on you of this collision has been significant.”

McVittie, of Highfield Crescent, Nelson, pleaded guilty to one count of causing death by careless driving at a pre-trial review hearing on September 21.

He was sentenced to eight months in prison, suspended for 18 months.

He will be disqualified from driving for 12 months and must complete 100 hours of unpaid work.