A husband and wife ended up fighting with staff at a Ribble Valley wedding venue.

Blackburn magistrates heard Jay Thomas assaulted three members of staff and his wife, Bethany Gardner Thomas, two, as a wedding celebration descended into violence.

Thomas, 31, of West Scausby Park, Halifax, admitted to three assaults.

He was given a 12-month community order with 180 hours unpaid work. He was ordered to pay £400 compensation to the first of the victims and £150 each to the other two and £85 costs.

Bethany Gardner Thomas, 30, of the same address, admitted to two assaults.

She was ordered to pay £200 compensation to the first victim and £100 to another and £85 costs.

Susheela Regala, prosecuting, said the incident at the Stirk House Hotel, Gisburn, started at 1am and lasted for about 20 minutes.

Bethany Thomas and another woman had been seen messing with some decorative flowers and a staff member told them to stop.

“They ignored him and were asked to leave and an argument ensued.

“As they followed him into another room the member of staff shut the door trapping her hand,” said Miss Regala.

“She scratched him before following him into the bar area where her husband punched him several times.

“The other two members of staff intervened, one of them taking a glass out of Mr Thomas’ hand. They were both assaulted by Mr Thomas and one of them was punched by Mrs Thomas.”

Andrew Vanzie, defending, said neither of his clients had any previous convictions and the incident was completely out of character for them.

“This was meant to be a happy day and they had spent the entire day with their friends celebrating their wedding,” said Mr Vanzie.

He said Mrs Thomas and a friend were taking photographs through some pampas grass when a member of staff made a comment about the “knob heads” still being there.

Mr Thomas heard the comment and challenged the member of staff and there was an ongoing dispute.

When Mrs Thomas suffered the injury to her hand she attacked the member of staff and she in turn was punched and knocked unconscious.

“Mr Thomas became riled up again and things happened in the heat of the moment,” said Mr Vanzie.

“There were clearly triggers but he accepts he should have dealt with them differently.”