A man who died at the scene in a motorcycle crash after his tyre hit the pavement earlier this year was three times over the drink limit, an inquest has heard.

Andrew Courtney Parker, 54, was driving his Lambretta Scooter along Blackburn Road, from Edenfield to Haslingden, on Saturday, May 13.

The inquest, at Preston Coroners' Court, was told there were no other vehicles involved in the collision, but road marks showed his front tyre hit the kerb and threw Mr Parker from the scooter into a nearby lamppost.

Mr Parker, a courier from Haslingden, was travelling within the speed limit at 6.53pm that night, prior to the fatal incident, on a road with a 40mph limit.

PC Brendan Williams, of the forensic collision investigation unit for Lancashire Police, told the court Mr Parker he was tested for alcohol levels as there were no defects with the vehicle.

Mr Parker's alcohol levels were found to be around 267 milligrams of alcohol per 100ml of blood, more than three times the legal limit of 80mg.

He sustained several severe and traumatic injuries, including a serious head injury and massive internal haemorrhage.

Although there were no witnesses at the time of the collision, many members of the public rushed to help Mr Parker after the crash occured.

George Hadfield, an electrical engineer who was driving past the incident, said in a statement: "I intended to do first aid but I saw a lot of blood which scared me, so I decided not to get involved when I saw other people trying to resuscitate the man."

Another witness who drove past after the incident, civil servant Amam Khan, said in a statement: "I saw him lose control of the bike and fall off.

"I called 999 but other people began to administer first aid. He did not have a helmet on and his left leg was almost cut off. 

"I remember seeing his chest rise up and down but he was not conscious."

Off-duty police and nurses tried to administer CPR to Mr Parker, but 28 minutes later, after an ambulance had arrived, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

His partner of 19 years Lyndsay Parker identified him at Royal Blackburn Hospital later that day.

Reaching a conclusion that Mr Parker died as a result of a road traffic collision, Coroner Kate Bisset said: "To Mr Parker's loved ones, the fact that the fault was his may not give you comfort, but I wish all his family and friends well.

"Members of the public should be commended in their efforts to help Mr Parker, as many other people would not have done so."