Mum-of-two Charlotte Wilcock was murdered in her own home on March 3 by drugged-up Anthony Stinson who claimed he killed the 31-year-old because he thought she was the devil.

On Thursday (August 24), Stinson was jailed for life with a minimum of 24 years and two months after pleading guilty to Charlotte’s murder on the first day of his trial earlier this week.

During the sentencing hearing, Charlotte’s brave mother, Carole Smalley, stood in the court and read out a heartbreaking personal statement, detailing the devastation Stinson has caused her family.

In it she said Charlotte was “a precious daughter and a very funny girl”.

Her statement in full reads: “I will never forget the moment that the police came to my house to speak to me about Charlotte’s death.

"I was aware that she had passed away, but I thought that there had been some sort of terrible accident and the police were going to explain what had happened.

“Never in my wildest dreams had I imagined that in actual fact she had been murdered on the front doorstep of her own home by a complete stranger.

READ MORE: Anthony Stinson: Violent rapist, abuser, and now a murderer

“In that moment my whole world fell apart. I can only describe her murder as causing complete destruction to Charlotte and all of those around her.

“It is hard to believe that I will never see Charlotte again or hear her voice or her stupid laugh. All I am left with is photographs and memories and they will never be enough.

"My memories of her are already all old, without the possibility of any new ones and this is devastating and wrong.

“There will be no more birthdays together, no more Christmases, and Charlotte’s children will be without their mother for all of their lifetime milestones too.

“What makes this so much worse is that Charlotte’s death was for nothing. Nothing was gained from her death by anyone and that includes the man responsible himself.

"There was no valid reason for her death, it wasn’t an accident, she hadn’t done anything wrong to anyone or got herself into a dangerous situation and she wasn’t unwell.

“Charlotte didn’t die, she was murdered and taken from us without any sensible explanation. I find this almost impossible to bear.

"The most frustrating question that I have is ‘Why?’ and I know that I will never have the answer.

“One thing that he will never be able to take away from me are my memories of Charlotte and all of the good times that we had together as a family. She will never be forgotten.

"She was such a precious daughter and a very funny girl; I loved her deeply and miss her terribly. I don’t think the feeling of loss and missing her will ever stop.

“I often think that I may be slowly moving forward and then I will hear a certain song or there will be a familiar smell and I am right back where I started with the most intense feelings of grief and sadness as I realise that she has gone forever.

“I want to remember Charlotte for all that she was in life – ridiculously funny, full of fun, extremely loving and just a little bit ditsy.

"She looked after me and she was the perfect Mum to her two children whom she loved with all her heart. She was just a normal, everyday girl who enjoyed life and loved her friends and family.

READ MORE: Anthony Stinson jailed for minimum of 24 years and 2 months

“I never heard anyone say a bad word about her, she was so popular and the number of people who came to her funeral showed us that.

"If only she could have been there to see how much she meant to so many. We all miss you beyond words Charlotte and we will never forget you.”

Following the sentencing, Detective Chief Inspector Mark Haworth-Oates, of Lancashire Police’s Major Investigation Team, stood on the steps at Preston Crown Court and read the following statement.

He said: “On the evening of March 3 this year Charlotte Wilcock had spent the evening at home with her 15-month-old daughter. After taking her daughter up to bed she went to sit on her front doorstep to have a cigarette.

“Meanwhile, Anthony Stinson had been at a nearby address drinking alcohol, taking cocaine and recording violent rap videos with his friends.

“Their evenings were very different - yet at 9.10pm their paths crossed.

“Charlotte had never met Stinson before that night and had no personal connection to him, but for reasons known only to him, he saw her and launched a ferocious attack on her.

"He slashed at her body numerous times, inflicting well over 50 individual injuries in the process, many with the use of the Stanley knife, as well as punching and kicking her.

Lancashire Telegraph: Charlotte WilcockCharlotte Wilcock (Image: Lancs Police)

“Stinson’s explanation the following day, when he called police to report what he had done, was that he was suffering from psychosis and had thought he was attacking a cartoon of the devil.

"He maintained that defence right up until his trial was due to start on Monday, when he finally pleaded guilty to murder, after psychiatric reports failed to support that he was suffering from mental health-related psychosis.

“In reality, Stinson went out that night having consumed large quantities of drugs and alcohol, and with a knife in his pocket, intent on causing someone harm.

"Our belief is that it could have been anyone that he attacked that night – but sadly for Charlotte, and all who knew and loved her, it was her that he chose and only he will ever truly know the reason why.

“Charlotte was an adored mum, daughter, stepdaughter, sister, niece, auntie and friend, and I cannot overstate the impact her death has had on all those who knew and loved her.

"The circumstances in which she was taken away are shocking. Her loss has left a huge void that will never be filled in so many peoples’ lives and it is heartbreaking that her two children now have to grow up without her.

“Charlotte’s family have conducted themselves with incredible dignity throughout the judicial process, and whilst nothing will bring Charlotte back, I hope they now feel that justice has been done.

"I hope that knowing Anthony Stinson is behind bars and unable to harm anyone else will allow them to move forward so they can start to grieve properly and in peace.

“Finally, I must thank the local community for their support. Residents in the Mill Hill and wider area were left understandably shocked and scared by this senseless killing, but we thank everyone who helped us by providing CCTV and other information to assist the investigation.

“Our thoughts will remain with Charlotte’s loved ones for a very long time.”