The council and Environment Agency have issued a warning as a toxic type of algae has been spotted at a reservoir near Foulridge.

Blue-green algae, also known as cyanobacteria, has been spotted at Slipper Hill Reservoir.

The bacteria, called blue green algae but not scientifically classified as algae, can be harmful to humans and is said to be highly toxic to animals.

Anyone visiting the area has been urged to keep pets and children away from the water, and to not enter the water.

The owner of the reservoir has been contacted and asked to regularly inspect the water.

A spokesperson for Pendle Council said: “Slipper Hill Reservoir near Foulridge has blue-green algae which can be harmful to humans and is highly toxic to animals.

“If you visit the area, please keep pets and children away from the water.

“The Environment Agency has asked the owner to regularly inspect the water and take the necessary precautions.”

According to the Environment Agency, the  ‘blooming algae’ can produce toxins.

These toxins can kill wild animals, livestock and pets. They can also harm people, producing rashes after skin contact and illnesses if swallowed.

It first develops as small green particles. If the bloom continues it can develop into more obvious “green or turquoise wispy scum on the water surface”.

If you come into contact with the algae potential health effects include:

  • Skin rashes
  • Eye irritation
  • Vomiting and diarrhoea
  • Muscle and joint pain
  • Fever