This fabulous old photo shows one of East Lancashire’s once great houses.

This was Feniscowles Hall which was built in 1808 by Sir William Fielden for his family. It seemed an ideal spot near Pleasington, surrounded by deer park and on the banks of the River Darwen.

But as industry developed, the river became more and more polluted earning it the nickname ‘the river stink’ and by 1880 the family moved to Scarborough.

The hall gradually fell into disrepair and now just a shell of the building remains.