Further arrests have been made following the death of a football fan at a game between Blackpool and Burnley.

Tony Johnson, 55, died after he was assaulted outside The Manchester Pub in Blackpool on Saturday, March 4, following the Championship match between the two clubs.

Mr Johnson was taken to hospital with a serious head injury but died later that night.

Seven men were arrested last week in connection with the assault and now a further two arrests have been made.

READ MORE: Seven men arrested following death after Blackpool FC vs Burnley FC

A 33-year-old man from Blackpool and an 18-year-old man from Burnley have been arrested of suspicion of violent disorder and assault.

A 33-year-old man from Burnley was arrested at the scene on suspicion of wounding and was later bailed pending further enquiries. Last Wednesday (May 17) he was re-arrested on suspicion of manslaughter.

On the same day, warrants were carried out at four addresses in the Fylde area and four addresses in the Burnley areas, and six further people were arrested on suspicion of violent disorder. They are:

  • A 49-year-old man from Blackpool
  • An 18-year-old man from Poulton-le-Fylde
  • An 18-year-old man from Foulridge
  • A 28-year-old man from Blackpool
  • A 31-year-old man from Colne
  • A 45-year-old man from Foulridge

This takes the total number of people arrested as part of the investigation to nine, and all nine have been released on bail pending further enquiries.

Supt Chris Hardy, of Lancashire Police’s west division, said: “Our thoughts remain with the loved ones of Mr Johnson at this difficult time, and we hope these latest arrests show that we are determined to get answers for them.

“Our investigation is very much ongoing and we continue to ask anybody with information about this incident to get in touch.

"Perhaps you know who was involved or have overheard somebody talking about it, or maybe you were in the area and saw something and have not yet shared it with police.

“Whatever information you have, please tell us by calling 101 and quoting log 675 of March 6.”