A DOG walker has relived the moment that she was mauled by her new pet after she took it for an evening stroll.

Armed police had to use an electric stun gun on the Staffordshire terrier after it went for its owner in Blackburn - and then turned on officers and paramedics when they tried to help.

The 45-year-old woman was rushed to Royal Blackburn Hospital with puncture marks and bite wounds to both her feet and legs.

She had been walking the animal across wooded land off Kidder Street, Blackburn, at around 7.30pm on Sunday when it attacked her.

She was able to call for an ambulance while the dog retreated, but it then charged at emergency services work-ers.

Officers used a Taser gun, which fires two barbs connected by wire to an electrical supply, to bring the dog under control while a rope was put around its neck.

It was taken to Blackburn police station and was due to be put down yesterday.

Speaking from her home in Abraham Street, the dog's owner, who asked not to be named, said: "I didn't see it coming. It was really scary. The whole thing has been very distressing."

The woman's boyfriend added: "We only got the dog a few days ago and it had been as good as gold around the house.

"My girlfriend took her out and I think the dog got confused when she was trying to put a muzzle on it. It went for her legs.

"It took the ambulance staff a while to find her because she was on waste land, then when the paramedics came the dog was trying to protect her so it went for them too.

"She was in hospital and now she is resting up. She's just a bit sore."

Lauren Holding, 13, of Peel Close, saw police bringing the dog out of the wood.

She said: "There were lots of police in riot gear and flashing lights.

"They brought the dog out with a rope round its neck. We didn't know what was going on."

Liz Brogden, 47, also of Peel Close, said: "On a Sunday this place is like dog central, with everyone out walking their pets".

A police spokesman said: "A decision was made to Taser the animal as it was the best option for the safety of all of those involved, including the dog, and judged preferable to a more lethal option."