DISTINGUISHED representatives of the legal profession and the sporting world paid their last respects at the funeral of a former Burnley Football Club chairman.

Judges and barristers, former Clarets players and present club personnel as well as fellow golfers made their final tributes yesterday at the rememberance service at Burnley Crematorium of John Jackson who died aged 68 last week.

A close friend Tony Cross QC said Mr Jackson was an "outstanding barrister and clever counsel".

In the eulogy Mr Cross said Mr Jackson was a "street fighter in the legal profession who knew how to win over a jury".

Mr Jackson was said to be the leading advocate of the Road Traffic Act when drink-driving became law in the early 1970s.

Mr Cross said his friend later became an outstanding criminal barrister both in his roles for the prosecution and defence at crown courts in Burnley, Preston and Manchester.

He had also been widely respected for representing Liverpool football fans at the Hillsborough Inquiry.

At the funeral, Burnley FC were represented by chairman Barry Kilby and club secretary Cathy Pickup.

Frank Teasdale, who succeeded Mr Jackson as the chairman at Turf Moor in 1985, and former directors Colin Sanderson and Basil Dearing were also in attendance, as were ex-players Jimmy McIlroy, Peter Noble and Brian Flynn.

Mr Jackson's daughter Rebekah Hipkiss said her father was a "dedicated dad, a dedicated barrister and a dedicated follower of Burnley Football Club".

The service was led by the Rev Norman Johnson and the reading was by Miles Brierley.

Mr Jackson, was brought up in Rosehill Road, Burnley, and attended Rosehill Junior and Burnley Grammar Schools.

He won a place at Harvard University but was unable to take up the opportunity.

Later he became managing director of R Clegg and Co (Burnley) Ltd - one of the biggest bookmakers in East Lancashire.

In June, 1970, aged 30, Mr Jackson qualified as a barrister in just over half the time usually taken to complete the course.

He passed his bar finals after only two-and-half-years' study at the College of Law in London.

He was chosen by Bob Lord to be his successor as Burnley chairman in October 1981.

During his four-year reign the Clarets were promoted once and relegated twice.

Mr Jackson, who lived at Wiswell, near Whalley, leaves his partner Judith, daughter Rebekah, son Jonathan, also a lawyer, and four grandchildren.

Donations in rememberance of Mr Jackson were made to Clitheroe United Reform Church, and Cancer Research Uk.