The family of a "kind gentle soul" have spoken out after his killer was jailed for life.

Julie Brierley, the mother of 48-year-old Michael Brierley, said that she was "extremely happy" with the sentence passed down upon barbaric murderer Naeem Mustafa by the Honourable Mr Justice Barry Cotter at Preston Crown Court on Thursday morning.

Judge Cotter’s sentence means that Mustafa, who inflicted 164 separate injuries upon his victim with a range of weapons, stamps and kicks, will spend the next 27 years behind bars before he can even be considered for release.

Speaking with the Lancashire Telegraph following the hearing, Ms Brierley said: “We finally feel as though justice has been served. We’re extremely happy with the today’s sentencing.”

One of the leading police officers in the case echoed Ms Brierley’s sentiments, saying: “Today we feel collectively like justice has been served.”

In a victim impact statement read out in court by prosecutor Paul Reid QC, Ms Brierley said: “Michael was 48 when he was murdered.

"No parent thinks they will outlive their child. Although he was 48, he was my baby who I loved with all my heart.

“Michael was a kind gentle soul who would always put others before himself. He was a carer for his partner Jeannie and a friend to many.

“He was generous with his time and money. He didn’t have many possessions and wasn’t financially well off but what he did have he would share with others.”

She added: “I often put myself in Michael’s place when he was murdered and cannot begin to imagine how frightened and vulnerable he would have felt in the final moments of his life.

"He would have been in so much pain – this has caused me so much upset over the past few months I can’t begin to describe.

“How we will ever understand how this happened I do not know – his death was brutal and completely unnecessary.

“Our family have lost a son, brother and nephew who is totally irreplaceable.”

Mr Brierley was pronounced dead by a paramedic on November 8 after is partner Jeannie Wright called 999.

Throughout the duration of a three week long trial, jurors were told that Mustafa had exercised a controlling relationship over the couple – using their home as a base to take drugs, drink and have sex with women.

In the months before his death, Mr Brierley was subjected to violence by Mustafa, who ultimately killed him in a prolonged attack in his own home.

You can read our full report here.