The winding gear in the background is perhaps the biggest giveaway on this photo from 1967.

It shows the exterior of Huncoat Colliery which had started life around 1890. Initially a private coal mine, two seams were mined. When the National Coal Board took control, a new pit bottom was built and diesel locomotives were introduced to move large quantities of coal around underground.

The pit closed in 1968 after coal stocks were exhausted.