The family of a grandfather who was "stamped and kicked" in an attack leading to his death have paid tribute to him after his killer was jailed.

The family of Stuart Newton filled the public gallery at Preston Crown Court and watched as his killer, Nathan Williams, was given 12 years and four months behind bars.

Speaking after the hearing, Mr Newton’s family said: “Stuart Newton, beloved husband, father and grandfather, taken too soon at the age of 65.

"An engineer by trade Stuart was an intelligent, hardworking man who led a full life.

“As well as his work he enjoyed cooking, doing his crosswords and watching the cricket, snooker and football.

“He enjoyed spending time with his grandchildren going on walks and exploring nature; he enjoyed regular holidays with his wife Susan; he was a father to turn to for anything we needed and he was loved by all who knew him best.

“We miss him dearly and he is forever in our thoughts. We have our memories and they will last forever.

READ MORE: Man jailed for 12 years killing 65-year-old grandad from Oswaldtwitsle

“We hope you can now Rest in Peace until we all meet again.

“As a family we would like to thank all of the Investigation and Prosecution teams particularly Detective Chief Inspector Lee Wilson and Andrew Ford QC for the justice that has been served today, their hard work and dedication has been second to none.

“We would also like to thank our liaison officers who have supported us all throughout.

“Finally now, after two years, we can start to grieve knowing that justice has been served.”

Mr Newton died after an attack by Nathan Williams, 32, on February 13, 2020.

Williams "punched, kicked and stamped" on the 65-year-old grandfather who ended up in a deep coma from which he never recovered.

The pair had a disagreement after Mr Newton made comment that he felt he was having to remind Williams to check on his children.

A murder trial was held in 2021, however, a hung jury saw the trial adjourned until January 2022.

Another murder trial was set to be heard however Williams pleaded guilty to manslaughter before it began.