WHEN it opened in 1900, the palm house in Blackburn’s Corporation Park became a major attraction.

Mill workers would take advantage of their Sundays off by putting on their finery and taking a stroll around the park - usually after church - and a visit to the wrought iron creation was a real highlight.

The impressive conservatory was designed to bring more exotic blooms to Blackburn with the bight central area providing a hot house for delicate species and the two side areas for more hardy ones.

This photo was taken in 1977 around the time of the Silver Jubilee when the conservatory had been given a refurbishment.

Vandals and the effects of time now leave it in need of renovation but it is estimated that more than £2.5 million would be required to restore it to its former glory.