IT was a building much loved by countless youngsters, where hundreds had learned how to swim.

In 1992 contractors moved in and started work on a £1.5million facelift project at the baths.

The baths’ chimney, which had long been a local landmark, was dismantled and the old changing rooms and other rooms in the building were demolished. The main pool area was retained but, again, was being given an update.

The baths had been serving the town since opening in 1906