A casualty was taken to hospital yesterday evening after emergency services were called to a domestic building fire in Colne.

Three fire engines from Burnley, Nelson and Colne attended an incident on Knowsley Street at 7:50pm yesterday evening.

The fire involved a settee on the ground floor of a domestic property.

One casualty suffered the effects of smoke inhalation and was rescued by fire service personnel.

The casualty was given first aid and oxygen and was then taken to hospital by the North West Ambulance Service.

Firefighters used four breathing apparatus, one hose reel and a Positive Pressure Ventilation unit to extinguish the fire.

The North West Ambulance Service have been contacted for more information.