Firefighters have worked overnight to bring a large fire under control.

Structural engineers will be sent to the commercial building later this morning to assess the safety of the building before a full fire investigation gets under way.

On Monday afternoon, crews from Nelson, Colne, Burnley and Hyndburn, along with the stinger appliance from Skelmersdale and the aerial ladder platform from Hyndburn attended a fire inside a large unit on Bankhouse Road in Nelson.

The blaze involved tyres inside the property, measuring around 10m x 10m.

Just after 4pm, people living in the area were told to close their windows and doors due to a large plume of smoke billowing into the sky.

Some residents were also told to evacuate their homes as a precaution.

A spokesperson for the fire service said: "This incident is creating a large smoke plume.

"If your property is affected by smoke, please keep all doors and windows closed."

Fire crews remained at the scene tackling the well-developed blaze for several hours, and an update at 11.30pm stated: "With the aerial ladder platform and the stinger, the crews have managed to get to a point this evening where the number of fire engines at the scene can be reduced from eight to four.

"We will be there all night to ensure the fire doesn’t spread to neighbouring properties.

"We have worked with partners to make local residents safe.

"No injuries have been reported and a full fire investigation will begin tomorrow morning."

Firefighters remained at the scene of the blaze overnight and at 8am on Tuesday, one fire engine and an aerial ladder platform continued to dampen down.

The spokesperson added: "Later this morning, the local authority will assess the structure of the building and the fire investigation will begin.

"No injuries have been reported."

Roads in the area were closed and at its height eight crews were tackling the blaze.

The fire broke through the roof of the building and people were being asked to avoid the area if they could, while locals were being asked to close their windows and doors due to a large plume of smoke in the area.