A LITTLE boy was found dead in his buggy after his dad had taken him into a water park, a jury has heard.

Logan Monaghan was taken to Waves in Blackburn by triple murder accused Jordan Monaghan in August 2013, just months after his younger sister Ruby had died. 

At the time doctors concluded that Ruby, who was 23 days old, had died of natural causes – however prosecutors now allege that Monaghan deliberately stopped the baby from breathing. 

The jury have also heard how experts believe it is 'likely' that Monaghan smothered the children.

He stands trial accused of the murders of Logan and Ruby and of girlfriend Evie Adams in 2019.

Preston Crown Court heard how before Logan, who was nearly two, entered the baths, he was ‘happy, talking and behaving normally’ but just moments later when Monaghan and the tot left having not used the facilities, he was described by witnesses as ‘asleep’ in his pram.

Several hours later and once back at home, Logan’s mother, Laura Gray, discovered him dead when she went to wake him.

On the second day of the prosecution’s opening, Mr Andrew Smith QC said that at around 2pm on August 17, Monaghan and Logan were collected by a taxi from their home and were dropped off by Debenhams in the town centre.

Mr Smith QC said: “During the journey Logan was happy, talking and behaving normally. Staff saw Mr Monaghan push Logan in his pram into the reception area of the Waves baths. He paid an entrance fee of a few pounds and moved in the direction of the changing rooms. 

“Monaghan left not many minutes later at about 2.30pm, without having been in the pool. He said nothing to the reception staff and did not ask for a refund.

“Kayleigh Hughes, one of the receptionists, noticed that the rain cover on the buggy was down despite it being a warm day. She also saw a blanket over Logan.”

Monaghan, with Logan in the pushchair, then set off home, bumping into a family friend as he walked up Wellington Road.

This friend recalls thinking that Logan was asleep and having a conversation with Monaghan about how he had planned to take his son swimming, but had forgotten to pack his trunks.

Monaghan then arrived home, where Ms Gray, by now his ex-partner, was having a nap.

Monaghan and Logan were let in the house and it was decided that Monaghan would stay until his son woke, joining the family for tea. 

The court heard that when he first arrived at the house he told Ms Gray that their son was sleeping. 

Mr Smith QC said: “After a while Monaghan said that he would go and check if the pizza shop was open and if so, that he would get a pizza to share. Ms Gray was not concerned at that time that Logan was asleep as he would sometimes sleep for two or three hours during the day.”

Monaghan returned with paper for Logan to paint on and Ms Gray asked if he had bought paint. He said that he hadn’t and that he would go out again to get paints and check if the pizza shop was open. 

“Before he went out again Monaghan asked Ms Gray if she had woken Logan – she said no and then said that he could wake him if he wished,” Mr Smith QC continued.

“He said he wouldn’t as he didn’t want him to be in a bad mood. He asked Ms Gray to wake him while he was out. He was out for a few minutes and returned with some paints.”

As he walked into the house he asked Ms Gray why he had not woken the child. He then waited a few moments before leaving the house for a third time saying he would go to the pizza shop once more, again asking his ex to wake the child.

Mr Smith QC said: “Ms Gray went to wake Logan. She lifted up the rain cover and immediately knew something was wrong. The hood of his jacket was up and covering half of his face. It was unusual for Logan’s hood to be up. 

“She took off the blanket to see if he was breathing. He was not breathing. He was a very pale colour. She instantly realised that he was dead.”

Ms Gray then called an ambulance and told the operator: ‘please, my baby died, please hurry up’ and ‘my baby has died, I’ve just found him in the pram, he’s dead’. 

Logan was taken to the hospital but he was declared dead at 6pm, aged 21 months.

Mr Smith said a post-mortem by a forensic pathologist concluded that there was no evidence Logan had been subjected to an assault, however his brain was found to be ‘remarkably swollen and large’

He said: “For reasons I shall develop, the prosecution say you can now be sure that Logan’s death was caused by Mr Monaghan deliberately restricting Logan’s breathing.”

Monaghan, of Belgrave Close, also stands accused of the attempted murder of a third child. 

To read our report from the first day of proceedings, click here.