Police have released new footage of a mother and daughter who were murdered in Burnley.

It follows the sentencing of Shahbaz Khan 52, to life imprisonment for the brutal murder of Dr Saman Mir Sacharvi, 49, and her 14-year-old daughter Vian Mangrio, at their home in Colne Road on September 30 2020.

Khan had initially denied his guilt but partway through the trial pleaded guilty to two counts of murder and one count of arson being reckless as to whether life is endangered, having set both bodies alight after murdering them.

His wife, Rabia Shahbaz 45, also of Ribble Avenue, Burnley, had stood trial at the same time as her husband and was found guilty in July of committing an act with intent to pervert the course of justice, having given false alibis for her husband for the day of the murders. Today (Tuesday, October 5th)

Handyman who murdered doctor and her daughter jailed for life

Khan appeared again at Preston Crown Court, where he was handed a whole life sentence with a minimum term of 34 years. Rabia Shahbaz was sentenced to 30 months in prison.

In this video released by police the loving mother and daughter are seen joyfully playing together.

Lancashire Police said: "We recognise how important it is to tell the stories of women and girls like Vian and Saman.

"We hope this sends a message that here in Lancashire we will do everything in our power to bring about justice for victims and their families."


Saman's brother, Dr Saad Hussain here explained the effect the deaths have had on the family.

Det Ch Insp Pauline Stables, of the Force Major Investigation Team, said: “A mother and daughter lost their lives in a brutal, shocking attack, and I cannot imagine what they went through that day.

“The women were killed in their own home, by someone they knew and trusted. “As a result of his actions, Khan not only took two lives but caused unimaginable heartache and distress to all those who knew Saman and Vian and it is clear they are missed terribly every single day.

“When the police investigation was launched Mr Khan began to weave a web of lies, aided by Mrs Shahbaz, who gave him false alibis for the day of the killings. When he finally admitted he had been at the address that day he still refused to admit his guilt.

“He then forced the grieving families of both victims to sit through three weeks of a trial before finally admitting his guilt.

"We cannot thank the families enough for the dignified way they have conducted themselves throughout the investigation and subsequent court proceedings, and we hope they are able to take some comfort from the fact that that both Khan and Shahbaz are now behind bars.”

In further videos released by police detectives detail how Khan tried to suggest a fight had ensued between the mother and daughter.


Vian had returned home from school at around 3.25pm that day, at which point she was also drugged and killed.

This is the last known footage of Vian that day. Harrowingly, we will never know the full extent of what awaited her when she arrived home.