A 26-year-old who spent his weekends binge drinking has avoided prison despite breaking a man's jaw and headbutting his friend.

Callum Renwick punched Steven Williams so hard in the face that he needed a metal plate inserting into his jaw, while Daniel Foster was left with a scar above his nose, following a brawl at Keystreet bar in Clitheroe in March last year.

Preston's Sessions House heard that on March 7, Mr Foster and Mr Williams, both from Wales, were in the bar, on Lowergate, after attending a gig at a nearby venue.

The pair were staying in Clitheroe for the night and following the gig had decided to remain in the town centre as they were enjoying themselves.

Prosecuting, Andrew Brown told the court that around 2.15am, an argument broke out between a group of men inside the bar.

He said: "Mr Williams, who had not been drinking much as he was playing football the following day, stepped in to defuse the situation.

"The defendant saw this and approached the group, spun Mr Williams around by his shoulders and punched him in the face with force.

"Mr Williams, holding his bleeding mouth returned to his table with a tooth in his hand, and it was then that Mr Foster decided they both needed to leave and seek medical attention.

"Mr Foster went to grab both of their coats and as they passed by the defendant, he headbutted Mr Foster to the face, causing him to fall to the floor.

"This was seen by security and Renwick, who was actually barred from that particular bar at the time, was escorted out."

The court was told that on the way out, Renwick had asked Mr Williams if he was OK and said, 'I had to stick up for my mate'.

He was arrested and at first denied his actions, but did identify himself on the CCTV footage, before pleading guilty to actual bodily harm and grievous bodily harm at a plea and trial preparation hearing.

Neil Howard, defending Renwick, formerly of Standen Road in Clitheroe, said the attacker placed no blame on either victim.

He said: "There was a disagreement between two men, one of whom was an associate of Mr Renwick, and he became involved when voices were raised.

"He misunderstood the situation and rushed into the confrontation and made a terrible error of judgement and failed to recognise that what Mr Williams was doing was trying to keep the peace."

Mr Howard said at the time of the incident, his client had been drinking heavily, most nights, as well as binge drinking at the weekend, but had since done a lot of soul searching and had also met his current partner, who was present in court to support him.

Renwick, who has no previous convictions as an adult, was handed a nine-month sentence suspended for 18 months, ordered to carry out 160 hours of unpaid work, 25 rehabilitation days, was made subject to a four-month curfew and ordered to pay £750 in compensation to the victims.