AUGUST 1987 and one of Blackburn’s most famous sons was heading to his new home.

John Briggs and Frank Black carried the portrait of Henry Harrison from the former Blackburn chamber of Commerce offices on Richmond Terrace to Blackburn Museum and Art Gallery where the portrait by an unknown artist was to be rehoused.

Harrison, who ran an iron foundry, was a major benefactor to the town and funded the Harrison Girls’ Institute on Hollin Street which opened around 1910.