A three-year-old cat had to be put down after its jaw was shattered - in what its owner fears was an attack.

Black and white Sneezer belonged to Sylvia Iddon who lives on Rifle Street in Haslingden, but was also the beloved pet of Sylvia's 16-year-old granddaughter, who has additional learning needs.

On Wednesday evening, Sylvia said that Sneezer went out playing, but returned not long after covered in blood.

Lancashire Telegraph: Sneezer the cat, who was only three, was attacked causing damage to his jaw. He had to be put down on Thursday evening.

She said: "He went out playing as he always did, and usually pops in to say hello, and get something to eat and drink.

"Then he goes out again till about 7/8pm, then I call him in for the night, as I have another cat called Jet, who's seven.

"Me and my son were getting the kitchen cleared ready for new flooring being fitted that evening, and he came walking in covered in blood.

"We weren't sure what had happened and I tried to check him but he just kept trying to hide, so we let him rest for a bit not realising it was serious."

Lancashire Telegraph: Sneezer was put down after being attacked in the street, leaving his jaw hanging off

The following morning, Sylvia said she noticed Sneezer's jaw had dropped and knew then that something was drastically wrong.

She added: "I rang my son and he drove me and Sneezer to the vets in Blackburn and the vet checked him over and said it looked like he had been attacked.

"He had other injuries as well - his jaw kind of looked like he'd been kicked and it looked like he'd been stamped on, although I don't know exactly what happened and can only guess."

Sneezer's injuries were so severe that the vet recommended he be put down as the pain would be too much for him to handle.

Sylvia continued: "He was only three. He was put to sleep at 6.15pm on Thursday.

"We are still in shock that somebody could do that to him. He was so soft and everybody around here knew him."

Lancashire Telegraph: Sneezer the cat, who was only three, was attacked causing damage to his jaw. He had to be put down on Thursday evening.

Sylvia's daughter, Abbie, said her 16-year-old is heartbroken, and has since set up a Crowdfunder to help pay the £208 vet bill and is asking anyone who saw anything to come forward and phone the RSPCA.

Posting on Facebook she said: "If any one has seen anything please message. My daughter is heartbroken that her baby has been taken from her.

"A family member has paid the bill but this has to be paid back to them and the vet bill will be added onto that.

"Any names given to me will be handed to the police and the RSPCA.

"Your name will not be given when you hand the person's name forward."

An RSPCA spokesperson said: “This is a shocking incident which must have been terribly distressing for the owners of this cat.

“Anyone with information about this should report this to either the police or the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999."

To help Sylvia and Abbie Iddon pay their vet bill, visit crowdfunder.co.uk/vet-bill-4