A Lancashire police force has issued a statement about hoax callers after fire engines and police patrols were called out to a 'fire' at a disused building near Knotts Lane, Colne.

However, upon arrival police and firefighters found that there was no fire and the incident had been reported by some "hoax callers".

It was later disclosed that children were responsible for the fake call and they are being “dealt with accordingly”.

A spokesperson from Lancashire Fire and Rescue said: “Firefighters from Colne, Earby and Nelson attended the incident as this is a standard predetermined attendance for fire incidents where it is believed there could be people trapped.

“On arrival the crews investigated but found no sign of fire and a declaration of all persons accounted for. Fire crews were detained around 20 minutes.”

Colne and West Crave Police created a Facebook post about the incident urging parents to share the information with their children.

On Facebook they wrote:  “Unfortunately, earlier today, a call was made stating that there was a fire in a disused building.

“Fire engines and two police patrols made their way to the location where it quickly became apparent that the call was a hoax, and that children were responsible.

“It goes without saying that these types of calls can have devastating consequences by diverting resources away from genuine life or death emergencies, and I would ask parents to reiterate this message with their children - particularly those who have been playing out in the Waterside area this evening.

“I am pleased to add that I have carried out some enquiries which have identified the offender, and they will be dealt with accordingly for their massively irresponsible actions.”

Neil Hardiman, Fire Station Manager of Colne, Nelson and Earby stations said it is "disheartening" when firefighters respond to incidents that have been called in maliciously.

He added: "In this particular case, three fire engines were tied up for no reason and two of the crews who attended this incident were actually from our on-call stations.

"They respond to emergencies from home or work and so may have been called away from their primary employment to answer the call as well.

Mr Hardiman added that "thankfully" no one was hurt- but it could be different story if it were to happen again. 

He added: "If there had been any other emergencies occurring nearby at the same time fire crews would likely have had to come from further away unnecessarily.

Luckily, that hasn’t happened in this instance but it does highlight an issue wherein individuals demonstrate a lack of consideration or understanding about the consequences of their actions.

"We implore individuals to be mindful of their actions and ask parents to do what they can to help educate their children about the wider consequences- of both hoax calls and indeed deliberate fire setting.”