A FIRE broke out at a house in the early hours of this morning.

Two fire engines were called to the scene on Charles Road, Clitheroe just after 5.15am on Thursday April 22.

The front door of the building was already well alight by the time the firefighters arrived and they were able to extinguish the fire using two breathing apparatus, one hose reel and a ventilation unit.

The crews remained at the scene for around three hours.

No injuries were reported and an investigation is now underway.

A police spokesperson said: "One theory of the fire officers for the cause of the fire is an innocently discharged cigarette bud that was thrown into a plant pot and over a period of time has ignited causing extensive fire damage to the property.

"Although this is something that is incredibly rare it is something to be kept in mind when extinguishing your cigarettes."