A fire broke out at a coffin joinery in Nelson causing damage to an extraction unit.

Four engines were called from Nelson and Burnley at about 1.50pm this afternoon (April 7) to reports of a small fire at Walter Lambert & Sons coffin joinery on Throstle Nest Mill, just off Leeds Road in Nelson.

Crews used a hose reel, breathing apparatus and ventilation units to extinguish the fire which has started in the extraction unit.

The fire was contained in the extraction unit and everybody in the building escaped with no injuries.

Firefighters were on the scene of the fire for about 40 minutes.

A spokesperson for the fire service said: "At 13:51 four fire engines from Nelson, Burnley and Colne attended a fire within a commercial property on Leeds Road, Nelson.

"Firefighters used one hose reel, two breathing apparatus and a positive ventilation fan to extinguish the fire. Firefighters were in attendance for just over an hour."