People are being urged not to leave appliances unattended after fire crews had to tackle a tumble drier fire.

Two crews from Hyndburn and Blackburn were called to reports of smoke in a woman's kitchen which she noticed when she came home from a visit to the shop.

Crews arrived at the terraced house on Exchange Street in Accrington just after 2.10pm and saw the tumble dryer was pouring with smoke.

Firefighters have issued an appeal for people to check their smoke detectors and make sure that they do not leave appliances unattended.

A spokesman said: "Please do not leave appliances like tumble driers unattended.

"This woman was alerted to the fire when she heard her smoke alarms going off as she came home and saw her kitchen filled with smoke."

They managed to get the appliance out and the house only suffered minor smoke damage. Crews were in attendance for about 30 minutes.