COUNCIL bosses are warning people about the dangers of disposable barbecues after a bench was damaged.

Hyndburn Council said that an incident took place on the playing fields on Alan Ramsbottom Way in Great Harwood at the weekend.

A spokesman said: “This damage to a bench in Great Harwood has been caused by a disposable BBQ - it could have been much worse.

“99 per cent of people are respectful and look after our local area. We also have a fantastic community of people in Hyndburn who volunteer to help clean up after others. Please be part of that 99% ... If you cannot dispose of things like this properly do not use them!”

It comes after fire chiefs put out warnings last week about disposable BBQs.