A TWO-year-old girl fell out of the back of a car being driven by her dad and was hit by a passing taxi.

Blackburn magistrates heard police and ambulance responded to reports that the child's head had been run over and the driver of the car she had been in scooped her up, put her back in the car and drove off.

The court heard that in fact the child was relatively unharmed and shortly after, as police were trying to trace him, was driven back to the scene by Waqas Ahmed who had gone home to collect his wife.

Ahmed, 32, of Higher Antley Street, Accrington, pleaded guilty to drug driving. He was made subject to an eight week curfew between 8pm and 8am, banned from driving for 18 months and ordered to pay £85 costs and £95 victim surcharge.

Samantha Hayward, prosecuting, said at 3pm police received reports suggesting a two-year-old child had been run over near the traffic lights at Eastgate retail park.

Early reports were that the child had fallen out of one car and under a passing taxi.

"A witness saw the defendant, who had been driving the car from which the child fell, scoop her up and put her back in his vehicle before driving off," said Miss Hayward.

"Police were making inquiries when he returned with the child and its mother."

Miss Hayward said Ahmed failed a roadside drug swipe and a subsequent test gave a reading of 2.4 against the legal limit of 2.

Zabair Afzal, defending, said the defendant had put his daughter in her car seat and fastened the belts.

He had dropped his wife off at home and had done some errands during which his brother had remained in the car with the child.

"As he drove off he noticed the rear door had swung open and his daughter had fallen out," said Mr Afzal. "She is a very active child but at no point did he envisage this could happen."

Mr Afzal said his client picked the girl up and then rang his wife who was hysterical.

"She demanded that he come home right away," said Mr Afzal.

"He picked her up and returned immediately to the scene."

Mr Afzal said the child suffered no long lasting damage and is "perfectly fine" now.

He said his client had smoked cannabis two days before the incident but had no idea it would still be in is system.

"He works as a taxi driver and is the sole bread winner for his wife and three children," said Mr Afzal.

"His biggest punishment is that he will lose his livelihood today, as a result of his own actions, and it will impact on his family."

He pointed out his client was only marginally over the legal limit and there was no suggestion his driving had been impaired."