AN INQUEST has ruled that the death of a 33-year-old woman was caused by a drug overdose.

Paramedic Lee Kirkbright told the inquest how he had arrived at a house on Wynotham Street where Amy Danielle Jones was staying just after 2pm on November 22 where he found "a room full of drug paraphernalia".

He found her partner Brian Hedgecock clearly upset and showing signs of drug use while Ms Jones was unconscious.

Mr Kirkbright said: "I suspected that she had been undiscovered for over 30 minutes and that any attempts to resuscitate her would be futile."

The inquest heard that Mr Hedgecock is known to police and that the story he gave to Mr Kirkbright changed several times.

Mr Hedgecock denied that Ms Jones was a heroin user but admitted that she was known to use amphetamines.

Mr Kirkbright said: "While all this was going on we heard shouting from downstairs but I do not know who it was."

Police arrived shortly after the paramedics, with PC Emmett confirming that he received a call at 2.30pm.

He said: "I was informed that there was drug paraphernalia inside the house and that Ms Jones' partner had given varying accounts to paramedics."

PC Emmett said he was concerned on arrival to find several knives and machetes on the kitchen worktop and by Mr Hedgecock's demeanour which showed signs that he was under the influence of drugs.

Mr Hedgecock admitted to officers that he had "taken some gear" and was arrested on suspicion of possession of Class A drugs with intent to supply, with officers also seizing a syringe containing an unknown liquid, along with two phones and several items of jewellery.

Sgt Gan Ho Chung said that there was no evidence of any injury to Ms Jones nor any evidence that Mr Hedgecock had supplied drugs to her.

The sergeant said that when questioned the day after Mr Hedgecock answered 'no comment' to all queries, supplying only a pre-written statement in which he denied supplying drugs to Ms Jones.

Sgt Chung confirmed that as a result there was no evidence of any suspicious circumstances.

A toxicology report from Simon Beardmore of Sheffield Teaching Hospital found evidence to suggest that death had occurred shortly after the injection of heroin.

There was however, no evidence to suggest that she had intended to take her own life.

Assistant coroner Mark William ruled that the evidence showed that Ms Jones had taken heroin and cocaine together in the same syringe that morning and that the amount taken was consistent with the range encountered in fatalities.

The death was ruled to have been brought about by multiple drug toxicity with no evidence of third party involvement.