A FAMILY of 14 including a new-born have been left homeless after a devastating fire ripped through their home.

Friends of the family say those who were living in the St James’s Road house have nowhere to go after the blaze left their semi-detached home uninhabitable.

The emergency services were called to the fire on Monday evening and worked through the night to put out the blaze. Luckily the family escaped unscathed and are all healthy and well.

Sources say the family, which includes a new-born baby, have been put up in a hotel for the time being, until a more permanent solution is found.

It is understood that living in the home were brothers from Pakistan with their wives and children. Of the 14, six were children under the age of 16.

Since the incident neighbour Shakeel Choudhry and his daughter Ammina alongside former councillor Mohammed Rizwan have set out to help the family by starting a fundraiser.

Mr Choudhry said: "Myself and Rizwan decided to do something to help this family who in torrid and pandemic times needed help.

"Alongside my daughter Ammina we set up the GoFundMe page and have been overwhelmed by the love and support from our community.

"The landlord has been amazing and has put the family up in a hotel for a few days until we are clearer as to where we can move them.

"They do need clothing and possibly furniture going forward so the £3000 is a fantastic start but we need more help. Proud to be a British Pakistani coming together in such tough times under sad circumstances."

As many as 45 people have made a donation, with a huge contribution of £2,000 being made by the AD Foundation, a Blackburn famíly charitable organisation.

Fire crews from Blackburn and Darwen along with an aerial ladder platform from Hyndburn were called to the Blackburn house at around 3.15pm after the blaze was spotted by a passer-by.

Blackburn Fire posted a photograph of the street on social media at around 8.35pm on Monday evening showing the street completely blocked off and several fire engines and crews in attendance.

The fire at the St James’s Road house involved the roof space, which was put out by firefighters using four breathing apparatus, one house reel and the aerial ladder platform.

Crews remained at the scene for around five and a half hours before leaving at around 8.45pm.

Click here to support the family.