One person has been taken to hospital and three others treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a bedroom. 

Just before midday on Tuesday, emergency services were called to a fire at a house in Barkerhouse Road in Nelson.

Two fire engines from Nelson and one from Colne attended the incident, and four people were rescued from the property.

One adult was taken to hospital and three other people were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

A spokesperson for the fire service said: "At 11.55am on Tuesday, two fire engines from Nelson and one fire engine from Colne attended a fire at a domestic building on Barkerhouse Road, Nelson.

"The fire involved the bedroom of a domestic property.

"Firefighters used four breathing apparatus, two hose reels and a positive pressure ventilation unit to extinguish the fire.

"Four casualties were treated for suspected smoke inhalation, while one was conveyed to hospital by ambulance personnel.

"Crews were at the scene for approximately two hours."

A police spokesperson confirmed that the fire was not being treated as suspicious.