A MAN who abandoned his car and ran off in an attempt to evade arrest had not reckoned on the ability of police dog Koa.

Blackburn magistrates heard the canine officer and his handler gave chase after Daniel Sam Brown failed to stop as requested.

The court was told Brown eventually walked to the officer with his fists raised saying: “What are you and your dog going to do about it.”

The officer launched a pre-emptive strike which knocked Brown to the ground and Koa started biting him.

“He eventually became compliant and the dog was restrained,” said Jack Troup, prosecuting.

Brown, 33, of Carr Lane, Blackburn, pleaded guilty to assaulting an emergency worker, PC Whitworth, driving without due care and attention, with excess alcohol and failing to stop when requested by a constable on April 26. He also pleaded guilty to making an offensive communication to a 999 operator on August 22.

He was sentenced to four months in prison suspended for 18 months and made subject to a community order for 18 months with 20 days’ rehabilitation activity requirement and conditions he attend the thinking skills programme and completes an alcohol treatment requirement. Brown was banned from driving for four years and ordered to pay £85 costs and £128 victim surcharge.

Jack Troup, prosecuting, said police patrols were asked to stop a car being driven by the defendant following an incident in Fawcett Close at about 2am.

PC Whitworth saw the car on Hollins Bridge Street and followed it on Peel Street and Queen Victoria Street. At times it was doing 60mph in a 30mph zone.

It continued along various streets before stopping on Bower Street. Brown got out of the driver’s seat and ran off despite the officer warning him he had a police dog.

“During the struggle as he was being detained the defendant threw two or three punches at the officer,” said Mr Troup.

On August 22, a control centre operator was working at 1.15am when she answered a 999 call from the defendant who claimed he had been assaulted.

“She was trying to get some details but all she could discover was that he was at Ewood McDonald's and had children with him,” said Mr Troup.

“She was concerned that the children were with him at that time and suggested he should go home and a police officer would see him there.”

Mr Troup said the defendant immediately became aggressive and threatening and when he was asked to stop swearing he refused.

“The operator said that in 17 years of doing the job this was the most abusive call she had ever dealt with,” said Mr Troup.

Richard Prew, defending, said the initial punishment imposed on his client had been being “savaged” by the dog.

He said on the night of the phone call Brown had been out with friends and called his partner to pick him up when he couldn’t get a taxi.

“She brought the children with her and on the way home they called at McDonald’s,” said Mr Prew.

“All the way there they were being followed by another vehicle and when they stopped at McDonald’s he got out to speak to the occupants and was assaulted.”

Mr Prew said when his client phoned to report the assault he was not in earshot of the children.

“In drink he became abusive and he apologises for that,” said Mr Prew.