LANCASHIRE County Council have announced a grant of over £14 million to support people with complex needs as the coronavirus crisis continues into the new year.

The funds have been provided as part of the government’s infection control grant which aims to ensure that people in care homes, supported living services and day services still get the support they need.

Meanwhile funding worth £308,000 will also go to domestic abuse refuges, substance misuse units and other accommodation that supports people with complex needs.

Cabinet member of adult services County Councillor Graham Gooch said: "This much-needed funding is helping adult care and health providers cover the costs of the measures they need to put in place to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

"The pandemic has been very challenging for these organisations, who continue to do a superb job giving people the care and support they need, while acting responsibly to put infection control measures in place.

"Most of the funding must rightly go to care homes, domiciliary services, day services and supported living to help them with the vital work they do.”

The county council has said that 80 per cent of the funding will go to care homes, supported living services, day services and domiciliary care services, while some of the remaining 20 per cent of the funding to top up the money it gives to these services.

Officials say the funding will cover the costs of putting additional measures in place to ensure these services operate in a Covid-secure way.

These measures include deep cleans, supporting staff that need to self-isolate, making structural adaptations to ensure people can visit safely, covering travel costs, measures to help reduce movement of staff between care venues and recruitment funding.

Councillor Gooch said: "The government has given us a choice about how to direct some of this funding and we've chosen to use it to support refuges, substance misuse services, supported living schemes for people with complex needs and other accommodation for people with a support plan.

"These organisations provide vital services to people who are in need of our support.

"We're pleased to work closely with them and provide the funding they need so they can continue to help communities across our county."

To find out more about the grant scheme, go to: