A BEDROOM fire, which firefighters believe was started by children playing with matches, was extinguished in a mid-terraced house in Nelson this morning.

Two fire engines arrived at the scene on Chapel Street at around 9.40am to find a fire underway within a first floor bedroom.

Firefighters used two breathing apparatus and a hose reel to extinguish the blaze.

A spokesperson said: "Please keep matches and lighters out of sight and reach of children.

"We also offer education packages on our website."

The remained at the scene for around one hour.