A MAN who suffered leg injuries after a Range Rover pulled out directly into the path of a double-decker bus he was travelling on, said he will never ride on public transport again after experiencing daily flashbacks and nightmares.

Lancashire Telegraph:

Martyn Smith, from Rawtenstall, was a passenger on the X43 bus, which runs from Burnley to Manchester, when it was heading along the A682 close to Clowbridge on Sunday afternoon

A Range Rover pulled out of a side road and straight into its path, causing the bus to career off the road and onto a grass verge.

Lancashire Telegraph:

Following the incident, 38-year-old Mr Smith says he has been left unable to walk, is still in hospital receiving treatment, and has to have regular intakes of morphine to help with the pain.

Mr Smith said: “I’m still in hospital and unable to walk. My right leg is swollen purple and blue, and trying to keep the pain down is hard.

“I have never had morphine before so it keeps knocking me out.

Lancashire Telegraph:

My other leg has had eight stitches in it, after a three-inch rip across it and I have flash backs of the crash daily, which doesn’t help when sleeping either.

“I’m annoyed the police said there had been only minor injuries to passengers, but I’m still in hospital nearly a week later and I will have to take about six weeks to two months off work.

Lancashire Telegraph:

"I am never getting on a bus again – I can still recall every bump, bang and rip.”

Dashcam footage, from a car travelling towards the bus, showed the moment the blue Range Rover pulled onto the 50mph carriageway, with the driver seemingly not noticing the double-decker bus speeding towards him.

Lancashire Telegraph:

The two vehicles smashed together before the bus driver sharply turned into the opposite lane, careering off the road and onto the grass verge.

Two air ambulances were called and several paramedics attended the scene before a number of patients were taken to hospital.

At the time, general manager of the Burnley Bus Company, Steve Ottley said: “Our concern first and foremost was for our driver and the customers on board the bus when the accident happened.

“Thankfully our driver, whilst shaken by the incident, was checked over at hospital and was able to go home to get some rest later in the evening.

“We understand that three customers also had to attend hospital with injuries, but they are also now doing fine."

No arrests have been made so far.

Lancashire Telegraph:

A police spokesman said: "At 1.10pm on October 25, officers were called to the scene of a traffic collision between a bus and a Range Rover.

"At the time, the injuries were believed to be minor in nature, however, a man, who was a passenger on the bus, suffered leg and foot injuries and was admitted to hospital. Therefore the incident has now been upgraded to a serious injury collision.

"A number of witnesses were spoken to at the scene, however, we are still keen to speak to anyone who may have witnessed the collision or who may have dashcam footage.

"Anyone with information should contact the police on 101 quoting log 0685 of October 25th, 2020. Alternatively, report it online at https://doitonline.lancashire.police.uk"