UPDATE: The two females, a mother and daughter have been named by police: www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/18766806.mum-teenage-daughter-found-dead-reedley-house-named-police/.

TWO females have died following a house fire.

Police were called to the semi-detached home in Colne Road, Pendle, at 8.45am after reports of a ‘concern for safety’.

The two deaths are being treated as unexplained and an investigation will take place.

Post-mortems to establish both causes of death will take place in due course.

Next of kin have been informed and are being supported by specially trained officers.

Police crime scene investigators were at the scene on Thursday and a forensics tent had been put up in the garden of the home.

Lancashire Telegraph:

Police outside the home in Colne Road, Burnley, where two people were dead in a house fire

Police have not yet revealed the ages of the two victims.

Neighbours said they were too shocked to speak about the tragedy.

A spokesperson for police said: “We were called around 8.45am today (Thursday, October 1) to a report of concern for safety at an address in Burnley.

Lancashire Telegraph:

“Emergency services attended a property in Colne Road after it was reported there had been a fire.

“Following an initial search the bodies of two people were sadly found at the scene.

“The deaths are currently being treated as unexplained and an investigation is underway.

“Anyone with information can contact police on 101 quoting log 0298 of October 1.”

Det Ch Insp Pauline Stables, of Lancashire Police’s Force Major Investigation Team, said: “These are tragic and very sad circumstances and my thoughts are with the family of those who have sadly died.

“Their next of kin are being supported by specially trained officers at what must be a very difficult and emotional time.

“We are continuing our investigation and at this time treating their deaths as unexplained.

“We would encourage anyone with information, or who saw anything unusual or suspicious, to come forward.”

The fire service were not called to deal with a fire but attended at the request of the police two hours later.

A spokesperson for Lancashire Fire said: "We were called to assist the police at 10.46am. We sent one fire engine to help."