A teenager had to be taken to hospital with severe burns following a chip pan fire.

On Tuesday evening at around 9.20pm, fire crews from Burnley and Nelson were called to a property on Westgate in Burnley after receiving calls about a fire in a flat.

On arrival, crews found the fire had involved a chip pan, which had already been extinguished.

Ambulance crews and a rapid response vehicle were also in attendance and a teenage boy was taken to Royal Blackburn Hospital suffering with severe burns.

Three other people were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

A spokesperson for the fire service said: "Two fire engines from Burnley and Nelson attended a fire in a flat involving a chip pan.

"The fire was out on arrival however firefighters used a ventilation unit to clear the smoke.

"One casualty was taken to hospital by ambulance crews suffering from burns, and three people received precautionary checks for smoke inhalation at the scene."