A MAN deemed to be at high risk of contracting the coronavirus was given two weeks worth of methadone from his pharmacist and died after taking more than his body could handle.

Simon Deano Tomlinson, 48, was found dead at his Talbot Street home in Colne, by his friend on April 4.

An inquest at Preston Coroner’s Court heard that Mr Tomlinson had suffered with the respiratory condition, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, for a number of years, as well as mobility issues, and was on a course of prescribed methadone, which he would normally collect from the chemist three times a week.

However, due to the threat of coronavirus emerging, on March 25 Mr Tomlinson was advised to take two weeks worth of methadone home in order to mitigate his future movements.

Coroner Richard Taylor said: “When his girlfriend couldn’t contact him on April 3, she sent his friend round the following day to check on him.

“On April 4 his friend went round to the house and entered the property as the door was unlocked, which was normal.

“He found Mr Tomlinson dead in the bathroom.”

Toxicology was taken and the report noted evidence of a potentially fatal use of methadone.

It was also clear that alcohol had been consumed, which may have enhanced the sedative effects of the methadone.

A medical cause of death was offered as methadone toxicity.

The inquest heard how Mr Tomlinson, a former landscape gardener, had spent a period of time in hospital, with the last spell around a week before his death, and when he was last heard from on April 3, had expressed feeling a little unwell.

His mother, Margaret Tomlinson, said in a statement: “After a relationship breakdown he seemed to go downhill.

“I didn’t know any of his friends but all I know is that drugs have ruined this family’s life.”

Mr Taylor said: “He had maybe three days left of his prescription, but he clearly took more than his body could tolerate, so I record a drug related death conclusion.”