CAR fires, building fires and a grassland fire were among the incidents East Lancashire crews dealt with over the weekend.

A crew from Nelson were called to deal with the 50 square metre grassland fire in Underley Street, Burnley. They spent just under half an hour at the scene.

At just before 4.10am on Saturday crews from Hyndburn and Great Harwood stations were called to a chip pan fire at a property in Stanley Street, Accrington. The incident resulted in one resident going to hospital.

A fire service spokesman said: "The fire involved a chip and crews used two breathing apparatus, one hose reel, some small tools and a ventilation unit to extinguish the fire and make the scene safe.

"There was one casualty at the incident who was given oxygen therapy prior to the arrival of ambulance crews. They were then taken to hospital for precautionary checks. Fire crews were in attendance approximately 90 minutes."

At 2.20pm on Saturday firefighters from Clitheroe, Barnoldswick and a fire engine from North Yorkshire Fire Service attended a tractor excavator fire in Wigglesworth Road, Slaidburn. They used a foam hose, triple extension ladder, breathing apparatus and an environmental grab pack to extinguish the fire and were at the scene for nearly three hours.

Crews from Blackburn extinguished a large rubbish fire in Hancock Street in the town at 2.50pm on Saturday.

They were then called out at 5.15pm to fire at a business unit in Havelock Street, Blackburn, along with their colleagues from Darwen station.

A spokesman said: "On arrival firefighters found the building heavily smoke logged and a fire involving some machinery. Firefighters extinguished the fire using a hose reel, two ventilation units and two thermal imaging cameras.

"Firefighters were in attendance approximately two hours and there were no casualties reported."

At 8.45pm firefighters from their Darwen and colleagues from Greater Manchester attended a car fire in Crews from Darwen and Greater Manchester attended a car fire on Stones Bank Road, Belmont.

A spokesman said: "The fire had also spread to approximately 20 to 30 metres of scrubland surrounding the vehicle. The fire was quickly extinguished using three hose reels. There was one casualty at the scene who was taken to hospital for treatment by ambulance crews. Firefighters were in attendance approximately 90 minutes."

At 1.30am this morning crews from Burnley were called to Raygill Avenue, Burnley, after residents reported seeing a Nissan Micra on fire. The fire service has launched a joint investigation with the police, with the fire thought to have been set deliberately.