POLICE called to a domestic dispute were faced with extreme violence.

East Lancashire magistrates heard six police officers struggled to gain control of "muscular" Thomas Fisher.

Three officers were assaulted in the course of arresting Fisher and one of them said in his 12 years of policing he had never seen such anger and strength in a man.

Fisher, 37, of Walmsley Street, Great Harwood, pleaded guilty to two charges of assaulting an emergency worker and one of assaulting a police officer causing him actual bodily harm. He was sent on bail to Burnley Crown Court to be sentenced on May 11.

Peter Bardsley, prosecuting, said police were called in the early hours of Thursday to Walmsley Street. They were met by a female with a child in her arms who was clearly distressed.

"While one of the officers was trying to speak to the female the defendant kept blowing smoke from his e-cigarette in his face," said Mr Bardsley. "He was concerned about that especially in relation to the coronavirus situation."

Officers tried to guide Fisher out of the house. He told the officer he hadn't ever been in a scrap and seconds later punched him three times.

An officer tried to get Fisher in a bear hug but he still managed to punch another officer in the face, dislodging a tooth.

Fisher was pepper sprayed on two occasions but continued to struggle violently with the officers who said he could have been a boxer or a cage fighter.

"There were six officers in the melee at on stage trying to gain compliance," said Mr Bardsley. "One said he was scared for his own safety and that of his colleagues."

Fisher, who owns Ink Tattoo and Design in Clitheroe, tried to bite an officer's leg during the struggle.

Gareth Price, defending, said his client had been running his own business for the past eight years but it had been affected by the coronavirus situation. He said Fisher had mental health issues but had addressed those by working hard and attending the gym in the evenings.

"He has not been able to do either of those and it has had an affect on him," said Mr Price. He said Fisher had been drinking on the night of the incident and then decided to go out for a walk. His partner didn't want him to go because of the coronavirus restrictions.

"When he got back there was a row and she called the police," said Mr Price. "There was no violence towards her but he has to accept there was a poor response to the arrival of the police."