A MOTORIST who left his car on its roof after an early morning crash left the scene and went to McDonald's for his breakfast.

Blackburn magistrates heard Dean Anthony Hartley was tracked on CCTV cameras and when a police officer tried to stop him leaving the takeaway in a taxi he kicked her repeatedly.

Hartley, 32, of Whitebirk Road, Blackburn, pleaded guilty to assaulting an emergency worker, racially aggravated threatening behaviour towards the taxi driver, failing to stop after a road traffic collision, driving without due care and attention, failing to provide a specimen for analysis, driving while disqualified and without insurance.

He was sentenced to 16 weeks in prison suspended for 12 months, made subject to a community order for 12 months with 15 days' rehabilitation activity requirement and ordered to pay £60 compensation to the police officer and £40 compensation to the taxi driver.

Tracy Yates, prosecuting, said the incident occurred at 6.55am on Sunday March 22. Hartley was seen driving a Honda Civic on Hyndburn Road in Accrington. He turned into Oxford Street at speed and overturned his car.

CCTV showed him leaving the scene and going to McDonald's.

A female police officer saw him get into a taxi and she used her vehicle to block the taxi from leaving.

"The officer opened the passenger side door but before she could take hold of the defendant he punched her and then kicked her three times," said Mrs Yates.

"She said he was like a man possessed and punched her to the arm to loosen her grip."

Hartley was trying to climb out of the driver's side door and shouted racist abuse at the driver.

"Two paramedics who were at the scene went to assist but he was still kicking and struggling in the taxi."

A drugs wipe proved positive for cocaine but at the police station Hartley refused to give a blood sample."

Hartley told a probation officer preparing a pre-sentence report that he agreed it had been "bizarre" to go to McDonalds for his breakfast after crashing the car.

Peter King, defending, said the night before the incident his client had taken a small amount of cocaine.

"He felt the combination of the cocaine and the medication he was on had an impact on his thought process," said Mr King