A known methadone user who had been taking the drug for several years died at his partner's home after taking an excess of prescribed medication.

Stuart Dugdale from Burnley was found dead at a flat in Imperial Court on October 24.

An inquest at Burnley Magistrates heard Mr Dugdale had been prescribed methadone for many years, along with several other drugs.

Coroner Richard Taylor said: "He had been visiting his partner on October 24, and had taken drugs with her.

"It was clear he wasn't well but his partner believed that he had fallen asleep, as this was what he used to do after taking drugs.

"After some time it became apparent he was not responding and his partner phoned an ambulance.

"Paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene."

Toxicology was taken and along with a concentration of methadone, there were also traces of diazapam, anti-depressants amitriptyline and mirtazapine, painkiller pregabalin, and anti-psychotic olanzapine, found in his system.

A medical cause of death was offered as aspiration pneumonia caused by combined drug use.

Mr Taylor said: "They together may have increased the nervous system's depressive effects and increased the risk of death.

"The mixture could have caused his nervous system to close down and he would've gone to sleep and not woken up.

"In taking that amount of medication he may have had acid reflux which would cause aspiration.

"Stuart's GP said in his report that all these drugs were prescribed apart from the diazapam.

"He would've no doubt built up some tolerance to these drugs but on that day his body simply could not cope with the mixture.

"He would have thought, having used the medication for many years, that taking these drugs would've been alright."

Mr Newman recorded a conclusion of misadventure and said Mr Dugdale, of Westmorland Street, Burnley, died having aspirated following the ingestion of medication, most of which were prescribed.