A FATHER and son have been jailed for life for the killing of great-grandad Barry Tyrie.

Mr Tyrie, 69, was beaten to death when he stepped in to defend a woman who was being abused by John Taylor outside the Trades Club in Regent Road, Haslingden, on August 25.

The men - described in court as “Team Taylor” carried out a vicious joint attack on Mr Tyrie, who they had previously considered a friend.

Mr Tyrie’s daughter Lisa Price described her dad as “a loving, caring man, who everybody liked.”

He died on the same night he became a great-grandad for the 12th time.

Sentencing John Taylor, 57, and Daniel Taylor, 30, both of Blackburn Road, to life imprisonment, the Honorary Recorder of Preston, Judge Mark Brown, said: “All he did was to say you shouldn’t be treating a woman that way.

“Within moments he was defenceless on the ground with you carrying out a joint attack on him.”

Preston Crown Court heard after the row with the woman - in which she threw a drink over John Taylor and kneed him in the groin - the men walked away from the Trades to get food from a local takeaway.

However they returned to “settle a score” with Taylor’s ex.

Judge Brown said: “Your attitude was that nobody messes with the Taylors.”

As John Taylor continued to abuse his ex, Mr Tyrie told him to stop - but the pair turned their violence on the grandad of five.

Daniel Taylor punched him repeatedly in the head “like a cage fighter” as John Taylor kicked him repeatedly.

Mr Tyrie suffered multiple injuries to his head, face, neck and body and arms, and died later in hospital.

Mr Tyrie’s daughter said: “Our whole world is shattered. His great-grandson was born the night he died and he will never get to see him.

“I still ring my dad’s phone and send him messages hoping he will answer, but he doesn’t.

“My dad did not deserve what happened to him. Nobody does, especially by two people who have known him for such a long time and claimed he was a friend.

“He would have been 70 last year but there were no cards, no presents, only heartache and tears.”

Daniel and John Taylor denied murdering Mr Tyrie, claiming they were not responsible for his injuries.

But following a three-week trial, the jury of 10 women and two men took just under two hours to unanimously find them guilty.

John Taylor must serve a minimum of 16 years before he is eligible for parole, and Daniel Taylor a minimum of 15 years.

They will both remain on licence for the rest of their lives.

Det Ch Insp Gareth Willis, of Lancashire Police, said: “This was an incredibly shocking and senseless attack on a pensioner, which makes his death all the more tragic.

“Barry was a popular and well-respected member of the local community, and I want to thank everyone who came forward, providing significant assistance to the investigation team, and also the many witnesses who have attended court.

“Their support has helped us bring these two men to justice for Barry. Our thoughts remain with his family and friends at this extremely difficult time.”

Paying tribute to Mr Tyrie, daughter Lisa said: “As a family we are pleased with this conviction and feel that justice has been served. No sentence can ever bring my dad back but we can at least try and move forward and remember my dad for the kind and loving man he was.”