THE death of a baby boy who was found unresponsive next to his mother after they had fallen asleep together is being treated as unascertained.

Tristian Jaziah Robertson, who “loved kisses and cuddles” was found next to his mother, Sharnah Robinson, by his grandmother, Angel Robertson, in their home in Thorn Bank, Bacup, on April 25 last year.

An inquest into the six-week-old’s death heard Miss Robinson had put her son in a baby swing before returning later to feed him, and lay him across her chest.

It was shortly after that on the evening of April 24 that they fell asleep together.

Miss Robinson said: “The next thing I knew was my mum came in and realised something was not right.

“He didn’t show any signs something was wrong before that night.”

Miss Robertson said at 6.15am on April 25 she discovered Tristian was next to his mother on the settee and looked an unusual colour.

She said: “I shouted Sharnah because he was not moving and was not breathing.

“I could see his face, he looked a funny colour, I screamed at Sharnah.”

The inquest heard paramedics were called and the family started CPR under the guidance of the call handler.

Once paramedics arrived, they tried carried on life-saving procedures before moving the baby into the ambulance and taking him to Royal Blackburn Hospital.

After more treatment at hospital, after no signs of a response, doctors agreed to end procedures at 7.44am.

Miss Robertson said: “He was a big cuddler, he loved cuddles and kisses.

“He loved being around people.”

A statement from Detective Inspector Tim Brown read out at the hearing showed there was no signs of suspicious circumstances surrounding the baby’s death.

A blood sample taken from Miss Robinson showed she had not taken any alcohol or drugs in the hours before Tristian died.

Dr Jo McPartland, the consultant paediatric pathologist who carried out post-mortem examinations, said the medical cause of death could not be ascertained.

The inquest heard thorough tests had been undertaken and there was no obvious signs of injury.

The investigations did not show signs of bacterial infection, meningitis or broken bones.

However Dr McPartland found Tristian’s lungs were heavier than normal, weighing 117 grams compared to the average 85 grams.

However this was believed to be due to blood which had entered the lungs through lack of oxygen to the organs.

Dr McPartland said there was no evidence of significant inflammation of the windpipe.

When asked by assistant coroner Mark Williams if accidental airway obstruction could have been the cause of death, Dr McPartland said: “The cause of death is unascertained but airway obstruction is possible.

“In some cases when babies have died suddenly in their cots, they show similar findings to what we have here.

“I cannot rule it out as a possibility.”

Mr Williams recorded an open conclusion.

He said: “We are here for five questions.

“The first question, the medical cause of death, I cannot answer.

“In every possible investigation done by a range of experts the science at the time cannot tell us what happened.

“I know you came here to find out what had happened.

“Sadly we cannot establish that.

“I offer my sincere condolences to you Sharnah and the extended family.”