A FATHER is in hospital with a bleed on the brain after being attacked by a group of men in the street.

Oliver Sparkes says he was walking home near Burnham Gate and Trafalgar Street, Burnley, at around 3.15am on Monday, when the gang attacked him.

His dad, Bernard Sparkes, said the last thing the 20-year-old remembers is being hit in the face with a rock.

As a result of the early-morning attack Oliver suffered a broken nose, a bleed on the brain, two slash wounds to the hip and a broken jaw.

Oliver, who has a 10-month old daughter and another baby due later this year, was taken to Royal Blackburn Hospital.

Bernard, who lives in Sunderland, said he received a panic-stricken phone call from his son’s partner, Megan-Ann Howard, and drove four-and-a-half hours on snow-filled roads to see his son.

He said: “While I was driving, I rang the hospital to see what the situation with Oliver was. The nurses could only tell me over the phone my son was in a serious condition and I had to get there as soon as possible.

“I didn’t know what was going on and I had to drive all the way to Blackburn.

“I was driving for miles and miles worrying about him and trying to figure out what had happened.

“Once I was there they told me the extent of his injuries.”

Bernard said he was messaged by someone who came to his son’s aid and saw two men run away from the scene.

He said: “Without this man I don't think my son would have survived. My son is a very, very lucky man.”

Bernard said after a critical 24-hours, his son is now concious and is being monitored at hospital.

He said: “He was almost transferred to Royal Preston Hospital to the neurology department, but his bleed on the brain hasn’t become worse so they’re going to keep him there and check him over.

“I’m so thankful he’s a lot better than he was when he first went into hospital, it could have been so much worse.”

A police spokesman said: “The victim was walking with a friend by Burnham Gate and Trafalgar Street in Burnley at 3.15am on Monday when they were approached by at least two unknown men. There was an altercation.

“During the altercation the men punched and kicked the man in the torso and head.

“He also suffered cuts and grazes.

“Paramedics attended and the man was taken to hospital.

“Enquiries are on-going."

Witnesses can call police on 101 and quote log 0116 of February 24.