A Watch Manager has issued words of advice after two adults and four children were saved from a house fire.

Along with two fire crews from Burnley fire station, Watch Manager Damian Hartley attended an incident on Morse Street in the town, at around 3.15am on Monday.

The fire, which was deemed to be accidental, involved the kitchen of the semi-detached property, and left the room severely damaged.

The rest of the house was heavily smoke stained, making the property uninhabitable.

Watch Manager Hartley said: "Upon arrival, the occupants had evacuated and there was smoke coming from the front door.

"Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus were sent into the building to locate and extinguish the fire.

"The building was cleared of smoke using a ventilation unit and the extent of the damage revealed.

"Following a discussion with the occupants it became clear that their smoke alarm had activated and raised the alarm, undoubtedly saving the lives of the two adults and four children who were upstairs asleep.

"The smoke alarm activated during the early stages of the fire which woke them up, allowing them to quickly escape from the building unharmed. "This incident shows the importance of having fitted, working smoke alarms."

One of the occupants of the house suffered slight smoke inhalation and was assessed by ambulance personnel.

Watch Manager Hartley added: "Ensure your smoke alarms are tested regularly.

"If you don’t have a smoke alarm, contact 0800 169 1125 and Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service can provide one.

"Ensure doors are closed within the house to prevent smoke and fire spread which will help maintain escape routes and limit fire or smoke damage, and always make sure the keys to the escape routes are easily to hand."